Insurance Educator of the Year award
The Insurance Educator of the Year (IEY) award is our way of recognizing teachers for excellence in insurance education. OII annually honors an educator who, through their creative and innovative teaching style, includes insurance as part of a course curriculum.
The Insurance Educator of the Year award is given annually to an Ohio teacher for excellence in insurance education. This honor recognizes both the teacher and the school.
NOTE: We are no longer accepting nominations for the 2019 Educator of the Year. Please check back in Fall 2019 to make your nomination for the 2020 Educator of the Year.
Anyone—including educators (nominating themselves or other teachers), principals or administrators, students, insurance professionals and consumers—can nominate an educator for this award. Instruction can be part of any course such as family and consumer sciences, business, economics, mathematics, driver education, social studies or related courses. The competition is open to educators in Ohio vocational and high schools. Nominations can be submitted online beginning in Fall 2019.
About the award
The IEY award is given annually recognizing both the teacher and the school. In appreciation, the teacher and school receives:
- $1,000 award to the winning educator
- $500 award to the educator’s school
- Special recognition during OII’s Annual Meeting
- Reimbursement of course fees for successfully completing a future graduate-credit workshop or course designed for high school teachers. Subjects covered must include some insurance issues or topics. Maximum amount of reimbursement is $500.
- Recognition plaque
A panel of judges who represent Ohio’s insurance industry will select the awardee.
Judging will be based on the following:
- Subjects taught (auto, renters, life and health insurance)
- Demonstration of varied approaches to student needs and learning styles
- Creativity in teaching methods
- Evidence of personal insurance knowledge
- Time devoted to insurance instruction
OII reserves the right to add or eliminate awards when, in its judgement, either the number or quality of entries warrants such action. The decision of the OII will be final. Previous awardees are ineligible. OII employees and judging committee members are excluded from nominating a candidate. Judging committee members may not vote on or influence the selection of an educator who teaches at a school attended by an OII employee’s or judge’s children.
IEY resource links