OII is a member-driven organization and welcomes the opportunity to talk about the benefits of membership. Members have a seat on committees and a voice in guiding association initiatives.
Our mission: To act as the Ohio property and casualty insurance industry’s voice on matters affecting or involving the industry.
OII is working for you
OII is dedicated to preserving and representing Ohio’s property/casualty insurance industry. Our staff is dedicated to upholding the highest standards of business ethics and professionalism and remains committed to promoting and protecting the viability of Ohio’s insurance market.
As an industry resource, OII provides timely, factual information and serves as an industry spokesperson to those who cover our issues. Our information and outreach efforts are geared toward building relationships with consumers, state government and regulatory officials, business groups and educators to help in understanding the day-to-day issues of our industry and our members.
Ohio Insurance Institute membership is available to insurance companies admitted or authorized to do business in Ohio. Full membership is proportional, based on company premium volume in Ohio. Associate foreign and affiliate memberships are also available to companies, insurance trade groups and industry-related organizations.
For more information on membership, contact Dean Fadel, 614.228.1593.
How does OII work for you?
– Our legislative committee works together to establish consensus positions among members on public policy matters that facilitate a highly competitive and financially sound property and casualty insurance environment in Ohio.
– Actively represents member interests in Ohio’s 132nd General Assembly, providing timely updates on key legislative and regulatory issues. Members, contact us for access to this information.
– Monitors and serves as an industry liaison on state regulatory issues, including two-way communications on proposals prior to regulatory action.
– 1,004 bills were introduced during the 131st General Assembly. OII actively participated in many of these bills on behalf of its members. Includes providing background information and committee testimony, attending committee hearings, developing legislative positions based on member input, and monitoring and tracking industry-related bills.
– Maintains and nurtures relationships with elected officials.
– Participates in the preparation of amicus briefs on behalf of Ohio’s insurance industry.
– Serves as an industry advocate on legislation and regulations to ensure a healthy and competitive insurance environment.
– Our education committee partners with educators to strengthen public understanding of and confidence in Ohio’s property and casualty insurance industry and assists in creating a talent pool of potential employees.
– Aiding the growth and development of Ohio insurance careers through outreach programs and statewide coalition efforts that include colleges, universities, state agencies, nonprofit organizations and the Insurance Careers website.
– Updates and distributes weather safety materials to more than 3,100 Ohio schools annually, including a severe weather teacher guide for classroom use.
– Leads Speakers Network volunteers who average 75 presentations a year in classrooms and to civic groups on a variety of industry topics; a great way you can become involved in our educational efforts.
– Offers insurance career networking opportunities for members, including an Ask a Pro program where industry professionals connect with students, career-changers and veterans to provide their expertise and serve as a career-development resource. Contact us to sign up.
– Serves as credible industry source on issues affecting the understanding and operations of Ohio’s insurance industry. OII news releases provide a look at key industry issues from past to present.
– Conducts statewide studies that support and guide the understanding of insurance related issues.
- Catastrophe assistance, including:
– Conducts statewide insured loss assessments
– Shares company claims contact information via social channels
– Educates consumers by providing claims, rebuilding and repair tips
– Provides resources on loss prevention
– Offers a variety of information tools addressing auto and homeowners insurance, safety and loss prevention resources geared toward consumers, teachers and students. Includes Ohio’s insurance industry resources, Consumer Fact Pak and Insurance Careers site.
– Maintains Insurance Matters blog that promotes consumer understanding of insurance-related issues and includes a monthly aggregate post featuring outreach efforts of our members.
– Provides state and national resources for industry-related reports and white papers, keeping our members and key audiences up-to-date on Ohio issues and national trends affecting our industry.
– Tracks Ohio insured losses from natural disasters from past to present. View OII’s winter storm loss history and wind/hail loss history.
– Distributes e-news briefs on state and national insurance issues and trends. These are also available to members online. Members, contact us to subscribe.