OII may represent P/C insurance companies here in Ohio, but we recently received global acclaim! In early June, the Ohio Insurance Institute (OII) accepted the Fundación MAPFRE International Insurance Award. OII is the first US recipient of a social outreach award from the foundation arm of our member company, MAPFRE (@MAPFRE).
OII was selected from more than 400 entrants from the US, Europe and Latin America for its InsuranceCareers.org website initiative. InsuranceCareers.org is an online hub to educate the public on career opportunities in the insurance industry, with a focus on Ohio.
“We are truly honored to have been selected for this award and the opportunity it will provide for expanding our insurance careers program,” said Amanda Sklavenitis, OII director of education.
Continue reading for more about the Fundación MAPFRE International Insurance Award and OII’s plans to expand its career offerings through the generosity of the foundation award.
A goal to fill 26,000+ insurance jobs
The OII launched InsuranceCareers.org in 2012 with the goal of addressing the long-term workforce needs of our members. The insurance industry is in the midst of a unique opportunity to attract new talent from a variety of skill sets. As the established generation of insurance professionals looks to retire, at least 26,000 job openings need to be filled by 2020. And that’s just in Ohio!
InsuranceCareers.org serves as a clearinghouse where interested insurance professionals—from students to careers changers to veterans—can learn about specific career pathways, job outlooks and learn what position may be right for them.
The site features these unique assets:
- 30 featured career pathways that provide research and forecasts into a variety of disciplines, associated skill sets and salaries.
- A four-question Insurance Career Survey designed to help connect respondents with a list of potential career pathways that align with their interests and skills.
- An Ask a Pro program that connects visitors with real industry professionals who are available to answer questions and provide insight into their career experiences.
- An interactive map of Ohio that serves as a directory of select insurance companies.
- Educational and training resources for essential career development.
InsuranceCareers.org features nearly 60 video interviews with industry experts. Check out the video below, or view the entire library via YouTube.
Recognition to further our outreach
The awards ceremony was held June 6 in Madrid. Jeff Anthony, OII director of government relations, attended the event, accepting the award from the foundation and Spanish dignitaries, including Her Majesty Queen Sofía of Spain. As an award recipient, OII received a foundation gift of 30,000 euros ($33,543) to further its insurance careers initiative through the expansion of its InsuranceCareers.org site.
The award provides OII the opportunity to expand the site’s outreach, including updating career video interviews, producing new content for career-seekers and more. Through InsuranceCareers.org, OII will continue its work in inspiring and educating upcoming generations about the wide array of career and professional development opportunities in insurance.
- About the 2015 Fundación MAPFRE Social Outreach Awards
- Fundación MAPFRE video on OII insurance careers award
- OII awards release
- About OII Insurance Careers program
- InsuranceCareers.org quick facts
Posted: June 27, 2016