COLUMBUS (June 6, 2016) – The Ohio Insurance Institute (OII) is the first U.S. organization to receive a Fundación MAPFRE Social Outreach Award, recognizing individuals and institutions for outstanding contributions to society. The Foundation’s International Insurance Award (Julio Castelo Matrán) was presented to the OII today for its insurance careers program and website.
Fundación MAPFRE is the foundation arm of MAPFRE founded in 1975 with commitments to furthering socially responsible actions in its home country of Spain and around the world. Located in Madrid, its main goal is to contribute to the welfare of citizens and society through collaborative efforts in five specialized areas: Public and private, national and international institutions, NGOs, museums, and foundations and associations.
The jury for Fundación MAPFRE’s International Insurance Award was composed of Flavia Rodríguez-Ponga, Director General of Insurance and Pension Funds, and Pilar González de Frutos, President of UNESPA. In its selection of the OII careers program, they cited “this ‘novel initiative’ for its transferability to other countries and regions and for contributing to two of the main challenges facing the insurance industry in Ohio: To generate more than 26,000 jobs by 2020 and to guarantee the good health of the sector…where over 250 companies operate.”
More than 400 candidates from Europe, U.S. and Latin America presented submissions for this year’s awards. Her Majesty Queen Sofía of Spain, who is also the recipient of this year’s Lifetime Achievement Award, chaired the ceremony. Recipients of this year’s awards each receive 30,000 euros ($33,543 US dollars) to further their programs and social causes. The ceremony was held at Casino of Madrid.
Representing the Ohio Insurance Institute at the awards ceremony was Jeff Anthony, Director of Government Relations. In accepting the award, Mr. Anthony acknowledged the honor of becoming the first U.S. recipient of an Fundación MAPFRE award, noting how this award will help to further the efforts of OII’s insurance careers program.
“With Ohio’s insurance industry facing an increasing demand to fill over 26,000 jobs by 2020, we are aware of the challenge, but excited for the opportunity to educate and inspire upcoming generations of the vast opportunities within the industry,” he said.
The challenge to attract young talent, military veterans and job-changers to the insurance industry requires a whole new way of positioning ourselves, noted Mr. Anthony, with the website serving the vital purpose of creating awareness and opportunity.
“We believe that to effectuate change and inspire others to join the burgeoning career field within the insurance industry, one must educate job seekers on the key tenets of how insurance is more than simply numbers on a sheet of paper, but a safeguard that truly helps people during what is often one of the most difficult experiences they will encounter,” said Mr. Anthony.
About the insurance careers website
OII’s Insurance Careers website was developed as the result of Ohio Governor John Kasich convening a CEO Insurance Education Taskforce in 2011 to examine current and future workforce needs of one of Ohio’s large employment and economic contributors: Insurance. Ohio ranks seventh in the U.S. in insurance industry employment with a workforce of over 100,000.
The Governor challenged the insurance industry to take the lead on their workforce development. A 2013 workforce study determined that more than 26,000 positions in the Ohio insurance industry would need to be filled by 2020. As a result of this challenge, the Ohio Insurance Institute’s (OII) created an insurance careers website and outreach programs to serve its members.
“Because of OII’s long-standing commitment to educating youth on insurance and safety matters, an insurance careers initiative was a natural extension for our association,” said , OII President and representative on the Governor’s Insurance Education Taskforce.
The purpose of the insurance careers site is to serve as a clearinghouse for information on careers and promote the variety of career opportunities in Ohio’s insurance industry. Among the site’s features are a number of interactive tools including:
- A careers survey that translates site visitor’s skills, interests and goals into possible insurance career paths.
- 30 featured insurance careers that include job duties, educational requirements, and job outlook and salary information.
- Career videos that feature insurance professionals who share their advice, experiences and insight from inside the industry.
- Ask a Pro program that connects a job seeker with an insurance industry professional that serves as a personal resource on career strategies and development.
Fundación MAPFRE award recipients
Recipients of the 2015 Fundación MAPFRE Social Outreach Awards are:
- Lifetime Achievement Award (José Manuel Martínez Martínez): Her Majesty Queen Sofía in recognition of her “significant personal merits and exemplary activity at the service of the Spanish people.”
- Best Social Action Initiative Award: The Foundation for the Social Promotion of Culture (Madrid, Spain) “Humanitarian assistance and protection program for Syrian refugees” project.
- Best Health Promotion Initiative Award: Action Against Hunger (Headquarters in Paris, Madrid, Montreal, London and New York City) “Anemia NO” campaign fighting anemia in the Sierra Central in Peru.
- Best Accident Prevention and Road Safety Initiative Award: European Federation of Road Traffic Victims (FEVR) (Luxembourg) “Don’t forget seriously injured road traffic victims” project.
- International Insurance Award (Julio Castelo Matrán): Ohio Insurance Institute (Columbus Ohio): Insurance careers website and program initiatives to promote career opportunities in Ohio’s insurance industry.
The Ohio Insurance Institute is a trade association representing insurance companies and related organizations for Ohio’s property/casualty (P/C) industry. OII members include 48 domestic and foreign P/C insurers and reinsurers, and 11 insurance trade and insurance-related organizations. Its members represent 85% of Ohio’s private passenger auto insurance market, 83% of the homeowners market and 45% of the commercial market. OII’s main objective is to increase understanding of insurance and related safety issues.
For more information
- Information on the 2015 Fundación MAPFRE Social Outreach Awards: http://bit.ly/28fDnuG
- Fundación MAPFRE’s international release with photo: http://bit.ly/1VHN2Fc
- Fundación MAPFRE video on OII insurance careers award: https://youtu.be/I1ws7cP_Y5Y
- Photos: http://bit.ly/1U40PDD; http://bit.ly/1tc8KX0
- OII Insurance Careers program
–Site link: http://insurancecareers.org
–OII and Insurance Careers backgrounder: http://bit.ly/1Un7fNV